Wednesday, December 28, 2016

What's with all the Bowls..

I readily admit that I am older in my thoughts about many things so the bowls are no change from that. Although I think on this one I think I am little more on par, do you remember when all of these college football games, not just the January 1st at the time meant more? I remember randomly somehow being able to watch a random game on Raycom TV and it really seemed like a big deal! Those teams looked inspired and the crowd was full and totally all about the game. It seemed like teams worked really hard to get to some of these games even if it wasn't the Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Rose or later Fiesta.

Now it's the green participation ribbon deal, get to 6 wins (half your schedule) and you are in!!! Or you win 10-11 game and miss out. Nice! If you are REALLY lucky you can win 5 and sneak in. Have to give that one to Texas that they turned that possibility down. I think if everyone here went buck wild over a Heart of Texas Bowl win by a 5-7 team I would just go drive into Lake Pflugerville. Bowl system is flawed come off what is truly a magical time of year with amazing end of the season games, give the really superlative squads a month off and play 25 meaningless, half full games. Granted I know these games are a big deal for the schools and host cities in some cases in most cases probably even more than the school's teams playing but the all mighty corporate dollars have made these bowls more of a side show and exhibition.

It's Weds the 28th and the slate moving forward is a little better so brace yourself for the grand finale I'm sure a certain network has their eggs in every basket praying for an Urban Meyer/Nick Saban showdown.. I know I am!

Revved Up Sports Show Thursday 6pm! Listen in www.RPMRadioTX.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment